We were established to provide expert advice and resources to enable the development and implementation of salt and sugar reduction policies worldwide. We share knowledge and contribute to the evidence base on salt and sugar reduction.
We have based this on the World Health Organisation's SHAKE Technical Package which recommends five policy actions and interventions, which when implemented in parallel would achieve a reduction in population salt intake. We have expanded this to include sugar and calories:
- Surveillance - Measuring and monitoring salt, sugar and calorie intake
- Harness Industry - Develop refromulation strategies including reduction targets and taxes
- Adopt Standards for Labelling and Marketing - Implement standards for effective and accurate labelling and marketing of food.
- Knowledge - Educate and communicate to empower individuals to eat less salt, sugar and calories
- Environment - Support settings to promote healthy eatingsuch as schools and workplaces
Use the links on the left to see more on global actions.