World Action On Salt and Health (WASH) was established in 2005 and is a global group with the mission to improve the health of populations throughout the world by achieving a gradual reduction in salt intake. WASH will encourage multi-national food companies to reduce salt in their products and will work with Governments in different countries highlighting the need for a population salt reduction strategy.
The overall aim is to bring about a reduction in salt intake throughout the world by reducing the amount of salt in processed foods as well as salt added to cooking, and at the table.
- Food Ingredients 1st: Spotlight on salt (part 1): Government pressure steers reformulation (12th February)
- Global News: Health Canada wants to make sure you know your food is high in sugar, sodium and saturated fat (9th February)
- The New York Times: In sweeping war on obesity, Chile slays Tony the Tiger (7th February)
- Just-Food: Spain to cut sugar, salt and fat in food items (6th February)
- CSPI: Salt Assault #12: IHOP (31st January)